Thursday, September 20, 2012

I need a job

There are very few things more demeaning than looking for a job. Applying to anywhere from 1-11 jobs each day, hearing back from maybe 5% of them, getting very few interviews. It is a terrible, terrible feeling. One can start to wonder if they are capable of doing anything at all. I think I am very capable- but no one else seems to agree.

So what to do? Many tell me I would make a good teacher, and while I am still not sure if I am totally sold on the idea of being a teacher, it's something I am ostensibly qualified to do. Except that I am not certified. And the test to get certified costs $200. And I don't have a job, therefore I don't have $200 dollars to spend on a test that could help me get a job.

Everything about looking for a job has evil circulars like this. The lowest position is entry level- qualifications 2 years experience in the field. How does one get experience if the lowest positions already require one to have the experience?

Applying to retail jobs is the worst, knowing you are overqualified for the position but really need it. the 45 minute droning, repetitive, false-test-of-character questionnaires. The subsequent notice that they don't have a place for you at this time. At least major retailers respond to applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment