Tuesday, October 2, 2012

New birth control method: Implanon

So, I had been looking around for a different (easier?) birth control method for us. We have decided that it is going to be at least 3-5 years for us. We want to make sure we are in a good place financially before we have kids, and we want some time to enjoy just the two of us. I was on the pill, and I was terrible at making sure I took it at the same time everyday, and was therefore always nervous about it working. Then my doctor had me try the nuvaring, which I found uncomfortable. But she checked for us how much the implanon would cost on our insurance. I was a great candidate for it, since I was looking for a long term option.
On Thursday I had to leave 
my bandage on for 12 hours.

On Friday it looked like this.

Here's how it looks today

Turns out our insurance covered the implanon 100%. Making it long-term (it lasts for 3 years), and cheaper than the pill or other monthly prescriptions. I was a little nervous about the procedure. It goes in the innerside of the upper arm, it's about the size of a matchstick, and they put it in with a big syringe! I felt like a girl in a scifi movie getting a tracker implanted... But it really wasn't too bad. The area is numbed first, and it is just sore for a few days after. Most of my soreness has past now, and my bruising is getting lighter everyday. I go back on Thursday for my follow-up, to make sure everything is healing the right way and that the placement is correct.

UPDATE: Back from my check-up and everything looks good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment